This audio tour takes you on a walk through the ruins of the Upper Town of São Miguel and the Castle of Monsanto, an epic historical site.
You’ll discover little known stories behind all of the places you visit on a journey that will take you across time as far back as the Roman Empire and the Middle Ages. Together we’ll explore the nearly twenty centuries of history that shaped this highly scenic site into the magnificent gem you find here today.
The tour’s highlights include:
• A detailed exploration of the Castle of Monsanto and the upper town of São Miguel
• The legend of the Divina Santa Cruz
• The legend of the Apparition of Our Lady of the Castle and the explosion of 1814
• The legend of the Thirteen Bowls
• The unveiling of the Hanging Rock of the Parish of São Miguel
The Castle of Monsanto and Monsanto’s town are separated by a steep, 500 metre walk and it isn’t possible for a single tour to cover both. This tour exclusively covers the Castle of Monsanto and its surroundings. There’s also an audio tour of Monsanto’s town on VoiceMap.