It’s not easy journeying to Whitby, so it’s important to make the most of your time here. On this guided walk, I'll introduce you to major local characters, engrossing legends and hidden treasures in this historic town, over a millennium in the making. Whether this is your first visit or your thirtieth, this tour is certain to make you look at Whitby in a new light. It also provides an ideal introduction to sites like the Whitby Abbey, the Captain Cook Memorial Museum and the Endeavour Experience, which you can return to at the end of the tour.
On this tour, you'll hear about:
• Some of the greatest voyages of exploration of all time
• Why people once thought the town was infested with serpents
• How Whitby jet, a gemstone, inspired the novel Dracula
• An illiterate poet
• Why there’s a polar bear in the town centre
• Why the houses with the best views were some of the cheapest
• The Hand of Glory and where to find it
This tour isn’t all about the past. I'll also tell you about Fortune's Kippers fish store, and where to find seaside fayre and the best strawberry tarts you'll ever encounter.