Welcome to the historic city of Derry – or Londonderry, depending on who you ask. Ours is a city rich in complex history, and filled with locals who’ll invite you to stay and
enjoy the craic.
This introductory tour takes you on a full circuit of the city's 400 year old walls. I’ll point out many of the famous historical and cultural sights en route and suggest places to return to for longer visits.
You may know a bit about the city from the recent comedy series Derry Girls, and we’ll visit the popular mural dedicated to the show. But on this tour you’ll also hear about:
• The city's saint, St Columba / Colmcille, who first established his monastery here in 542 AD
• The great Siege of Derry in 1688 and 1689
• The Troubles, which were a part of life here from 1969 to 1994
• The city's role in the second world war and the Battle of the Atlantic
• Immigration during the Plantation of Ulster
• Emigration during the Irish Potato Famine, or Great Famine, from 1845 to 1849
I invite you to join me in a “dander” around the Derry Walls, and this ancient but exciting part of the city.(“Dander” means a walk in the local dialect.)