Dive into the history of Terre Haute’s Freemasonry from its early days at Fort William Henry Harrison to the present on this in-depth indoor tour around the Terre Haute Masonic Temple.
Learn about the Temple, its history, the journey that led to its opening, and the details about who owns and utilizes it today as you walk from room to room. Along the way, you’ll hear about each room’s roles, and I’ll teach you how to spot some of the prominent symbols of Freemasonry. I’ll introduce you to some of the characters who started the lodges and have guided them through the years. There’s even a brief cameo by Terre Haute legend Stiffy Green!
On this tour you’ll get a chance to:
• See historic furniture and design styles
• Explore a building designed by a renowned Midwestern architect and listed in the National Register of Historic Places
• Find out where the homes of local notables John Heinl, Senator Daniel Vorhees, William Wood Parsons, and Frank Prox were once located
• Learn how Freemasonry migrated to and grew in Vigo County
• View Terre Haute’s best collection of historic Masonic literature
• Learn about the history and foundation of the Order of the Eastern Star
Join me on this walk around the Terre Haute Masonic Temple where the history, architecture and symbolism of Freemasonry are explored. Allow at least an hour to explore the building and get the most out of the tour.