This walking tour is an essential introduction to Vienna’s role in the Holocaust. It tells the story of Viennese Jews throughout the city’s history, with a focus on the Holocaust and the post-war years when justice was being sought. If you like overlooked history, forgotten stories, and off-the beaten path places, this walk through the center of Vienna will be right up your alley (and we’ll be wandering down a few of those too!)
We’ll explore locations with links to Jewish Vienna that aren’t often found on tourist maps. Along the way, you’ll learn about Simon Wiesenthal, the greatest ‘Nazi hunter’ of all time, and how many of his efforts eventually led to justice.
You can look forward to hearing about:
• Jewish Vienna’s history, and Austria’s role in the Holocaust
• The original site of the Gestapo headquarters
• Stadt Temple
• “The Nameless Library”, the central memorial for Austrian victims of the Holocaust
• Leopoldstadt, Vienna’s thriving Jewish community
• The O5 headquarters, the most prominent pro-Austrian resistance group
Whether it’s your first time in Vienna or you’re a curious history buff eager to uncover the city’s hidden corners, this 90-minute walk will keep you captivated and have you yearning for more intriguing tales.