Meander through Kilkenny, one of the most important inland towns in Ireland, on a walking tour retracing its history. We’ll begin at the castle gates, where you’ll hear about the turbulent life of Dermot McMurrough, the King of Leinster, and his daughter Aoife, as well as the kings, warriors and knights who helped established Kilkenny in the 1100s.
I’ll show you around the city’s most significant medieval sites, such as the Tholsel, Kytler's Inn, and St. Canice's Cathedral. I’ll tell you stories about the real people of the time, including merchants, witches, bishops and abbots, which I’m sure will fascinate and enthral you until the very end of the tour.
Highlights on our walk include:
• Tracing parts of the city’s Medieval Mile
• A quick tour around the Black Abbey
• Learning about a castle that was built on top of a medieval jail
Along the way you’ll also discover:
• Why Kilkenny is known as the Marble City
• The food regulations that existed in medieval Kilkenny’s markets
• What the Liber Primus Kilkenniensis is, and why it’s so important
The tour ends a short walk from the centre of town, where you’ll find other interesting sights to see, great shopping opportunities, and a whole host of places to enjoy a meal, snack, or drink.