Did you know that Chania has been inhabited since the Neolithic Period? We’d love to share the amazing history of this little town with you. You’ll discover its remarkable architecture along the way, including a magnificent lighthouse, churches, mosques, shipyards and the old town’s well preserved houses. They’re a reminder of all the people and cultures that have influenced local life, from ancient times through to the Byzantine era, the Venetian occupation and Turkish rule. I’ll also point out the entertainment and cultural offerings that make the modern town so vibrant.
During this tour, I’ll give you local insight, share fun facts, and introduce you to Chania's cultural identity through storytelling. We’ll explore some secret spots and find the old town’s hidden treasures too.
Some of the stories you can look forward to include:
• The legend behind the Cathedral of Chania
• The history of Chania’s Jews
• The Venetian families that were powerful here, like the Renieri, Delfino and Colombo
• How Felice Napoleone Canevaro, Dominikos Theotokopoulos and Ioannis Daskalogiannis shaped the city
• The ancient city of Kydonia
This tour is a valuable introduction to Chania's turbulent history.
Allow 1.5 to 2 hours for this walk. There are plenty of cafes, restaurants and bars en route for a quick (or lengthy!) stop.
Xserra - Bouzouki (Freesound.org)
Shorthopper - Joura Accordian (Freesound.org)