Journey through the pomp and splendour of Tsarist Russia on a walking tour of Peterhof Palace Gardens. Consisting of 32 museums, 414 hectares of parks and gardens and more than 150 fountains, the immensity of Peterhof has to be experienced to be believed.
On this tour, you'll discover the playful trick fountains that spray water at unsuspecting visitors, and hear about the impressive system of canals that brought water to Peterhof. You’ll travel back in time to the Tsar's lavish parties that entertained thousands of guests too.
Along the way, you'll get the answers to questions like:
• Why did Peter the Great, the first Russian Emperor, create a "second Versailles" in the early 1700s?
• Which foreign ambassadors have visited Peterhof?
• Where were the future rulers of Russia baptized and crowned?
• What became of Tsarist Russia and its monarchs?
• How were priceless artefacts rescued from the clutches of the Nazis?
I’ll also share some interesting historical tidbits about the Russian state’s emperors’ ceremonial summer residence. To get the most out of this audio tour, give yourself a few hours to roam the gardens.
Please note: This tour does not include entrance into Peterhof.