When people hear the word Dijon, they automatically think of mustard, but the city has so much more to offer than that! The capital of Burgundy was also home to the Great Dukes of the West in the Middle Ages, and modern Dijon is brimming with art, history, gastronomy and beauty. On this walking tour, you’ll become acquainted with the city’s history through the architecture and anecdotes that shaped it.
Just over 200 acres of the historical city centre has UNESCO World Heritage status, with myriad churches, palaces, townhouses and monuments ranging from antiquity to the 1900s. I’ll show you these historic spaces and help you understand Dijon’s role in French history. Along the way, you’ll be introduced to local fare, regional wine, and several intriguing stories about dukes and other former residents.
Highlights on this tour include:
• Finding out why the owl became the city’s emblem
• Getting insights into the lives of the Dukes of Burgundy
• Seeing one of the most beautiful staircases in France
• Discovering a mysterious stone-carved Salamander on a church wall
• Understanding why Dijon mustard is so famous
• Taking in the hidden courtyards of ancient houses
Let’s embark on a journey that will open up a whole aspect of French culture you never knew existed. Please allow an hour to get the most out of this tour.