Fushimi Inari Shrine is one of Japan’s most popular and beautiful shrines. Thousands of people visit it every day to see the 1,000 magnificent torii gates. But most do not get the full story behind the pretty pictures they take. Join me as we delve into the history behind the Shinto rituals and beliefs linked to this amazing shrine. We’ll take an easy stroll among the tranquil forest scenery. The tour starts from the steps at the first gate and ends at a lovely pond deep in the shrine’s complex. You'll be one of a few who will discover the real power of this shrine that has been influencing people's lives over 1,300 years.
The landmarks include:
• The unique fox statues dotted across the shrine
• An unmatched vista of the thousand bright red torii gates
• The Heavy-Light Stone where you can test a wish
You’ll find some surprising links too, between:
• The architecture of the shrine’s Main Hall and the life lessons it provides
• The roof and the highest aesthetic value in Japanese culture
• A rice cake bird and Japanese villagers in an ancient story
Let’s take a stroll and found out why this ancient shrine has lessons that can still be learned today.