If you like the nooks and crannies of an old town, this is the tour for you, whether you live in Frankfurt or you’re visiting for the first time. You’ll take a step back into a distant past nestled within this bustling modern metropolis, and meet emperors, merchants, and even the aunt of an author! The walk isn’t far, but along the way, you’ll discover why Frankfurt had to rebuild a lot of its old town, visit a reconstructed medieval courtyard, and find your way to Roman and Carolingian ruins.
Frankfurt’s old town is full of cafes if you’d like to make a quick pit-stop along the way, or you could pick up sausage from Dey’s, on the Hühnermarkt, to nibble while you walk. Wine fans will appreciate Balthasar’s Wine Bar, next to Dey’s. The tour also points out places that are free to visit and will keep you dry if it’s a rainy day!
The landmarks include:
• The stunning architecture of the old Hühnermarkt
• A Renaissance house that cost 8 million Euros
• St Paul's Church, the “cradle of German democracy”
• Hidden post-modernist houses
And there are stories about the surprising links between:
• Cat statues and an eavesdropping man
• Aunty Melber and Goethe
• How Frankfurt’s was named and a mural of Charlemagne
Let’s take a stroll into the heart of the old town together and look into all its corners and see what we find behind its facades.