Welcome to Derry / Londonderry and, in particular, the Cityside, as the western half of this historic city is known.
On this walking tour, we’ll visit several locations in the west side of the city, including an area called the Bogside. Sometimes described as the cockpit of ‘the Troubles’, it became world famous during the late 1960s for violent clashes, later referred to as ‘the Battle of the Bogside’.
We’ll peruse popular murals like The Petrol Bomber, Bernadette, and the Bloody Sunday collection and, in a politically neutral way, cover some of the other sites that define the area.
Fellow tour guide, Mr Terry Brown of Walled City Tours, will join us to share his perspective at some of the locations along the way.
You’ll also hear stories about:
• Two of the city's greatest boxers, Jim “Spider” and his son Billy
Spider Kelly, and how they got their
• St Columba and how the sacred well was formed
• The murals, monuments and memorials dedicated to the Troubles
• A Victorian-era garden of tranquility in the city centre
• The revival of the ancient languages of the natives and the planters
• Derry pigs and what made them so happy