• LOCATION 35 | Interstate 55: St. Louis, MO to Springfield, IL

    White City and Mt Olive

    White City is a village behind the trees to our left, incorporated in 1907, three years after a mine opened here. It was named White City because white was the color of many of the homes in the village. These homes were Sears Catalog homes that were on display at the 1904 World’s Fair in St. Louis and then shipped here after the fair ended. The mine closed in 1957, but the 1 square mile village continues to dominate the horizon.

    To our right is the city of Mount Olive. It was first settled in the mid-1800s by a German immigrant and was named Oelburg, which is German meaning, “Mount of Olives.” By the late 1800s, the name was officially changed to Mt. Olive.

Preview mode limited to first 3 locations.
Interstate 55: St. Louis, MO to Springfield, IL