Tour Locations | Philadelphia's Lost Waterfront
LOCATION 22 | Philadelphia's Lost Waterfront
Vine Street 1
Stop here for a moment. We are now standing at the intersection of Vine Street and Columbus Boulevard. In the 1600s, hunters and traders from New Jersey crossed the Delaware River at this spot to get to the bountiful lands of what became Pennsylvania.
William Penn later dedicated the Vine Street Landing for public use in 1683. The landing became one of the busiest ferry landings on the Delaware.
Nearly every east-west street on the central Philadelphia waterfront had a ferry landing of some sort. But they all went out of business soon after the opening of the Ben Franklin Bridge in 1926. When the ferry at Vine Street ceased operating, it was the oldest ferry service in America, having run continuously for more than two hundred years.
Keep going straight along the sidewalk.