Vardø: Pomors, Radars and Witches in the Far North
Turn at Kaigata
Please turn left here at Kaigata and walk towards the building with the large steeple. This is Vardø chuch.
The church in Vardø dates back to 1307, when the oldest known church was consecrated. Several churches have since been built on the site. The previous church from 1869 was burned down by retreating German soldiers near the end of World War II. The parishioners met in a temporary house church from 1944 until the present church was completed in 1958. This church was designed by the Norwegian architect Eivind Mostue.
Continue walking straight.