Tour Locations | The Electrifying Story of Gan HaHashmal and Its Architecture
First power plant in the Land of Israel
Stop for a moment in front of the blue sign.
You're standing in what used to be an orchard, one of the orchards in which oranges were grown before being exported through the Jaffa Port to Europe and America. The oranges were branded as Jaffa Oranges, a trademark that exists to this day, even though the oranges are no longer grown in the vicinity of Jaffe, nor are they shipped through the Jaffa Port. In the 1920’s, the orchard was purchased by entrepreneur Pinhas Rutenberg, who wished to build a power plant in Israel. The first customers of the Electrical Company were the first couple of Tel Aviv – Meir Dizengoff, the first Mayor of Tel-Aviv, and his wife, Zina Dizengoff.
Since the Electrical Company settled here, the street we are standing on was named the HaHashmal Street, "Electricity Street", and the entire neighborhood was dubbed the Gan HaHashmal, "Electricity Garden". To this very day, the management headquarters of the Israel Electric Corporation is based here.
Let's keep moving.
Facing the sign, turn right and walk along HaHashmal Street.