Tour Locations | Cowbells, Chalets and Balthus: A Swiss Alpine Village Excursion
Some Rossiniere History
Since the 11th century, Rossiniere has been aligned with different regions. It was part of the catholic principality of Gruyere until 1555. After the Reformation, it became part of the protestant City-state of Bern and joined the Canton of Vaud in 1803. Despite the opulence of the Grand Chalet, the majority of the Rossiniere villagers were subsistence dairy farmers and daily life was very hard and economically precarious.
From the mid-1800s, British tourists fell in love with the alpine scenery and began to visit in growing numbers. Tourism played a significant role in the development of the region and particularly increased with the arrival of the mountain railway in 1904. Interestingly the houses were never referred to as chalets by the locals. This term was only used to describe the herdsman’s hut. Used by the English tourists at the turn of the century the name has now stuck.