Tour Locations | Carmel-by-the-Sea: Fairy Tale Houses Walking Tour
LOCATION 11 | Carmel-by-the-Sea: Fairy Tale Houses Walking Tour
Stop and have a look to your left at the one story English Cotswold style cottage across the road. It's the second house from the corner and sits at the end of a gravel driveway.
(2 seconds silence)
The two front multi-paned wood windows almost appear to be eyes looking out toward the street. The front door is set between the two windows and faces east overlooking a small Carmel stone landing.
Ocean House was built for O. W. Swain at a cost of $2855. O. W. Swan arrived in Carmel from the east coast in 1928. He was interested in building his homes in what he called an English garden city plan. Swain was able to convince the City of Carmel to reconfigure five lots at the eastern end of block 66 to carry out his dream. The re-configurement allowed for what might be called Carmel's first sub-division. There would be five homes with no fences between them and the gardens would be shared. He hired Hugh Comstock to design and build this compound. Ocean House, the smallest of these five houses, was the third to be built.
Now, walk to the corner, then turn left to cross Ocean Ave and continue up Santa Rita Street.