Journey through one of Kitchener's oldest neighbourhoods, the Civic Centre Neighbourhood Heritage Conservation District. This area was (and, in some cases, still is) home to many former mayors, doctors, and people from key industries, such as the influential Breithaupt family who helped transform Kitchener into the city it is today. This walking tour takes you through several streets adorned with large and intricately-designed homes and other buildings that showcase architecture from the late 1800s onwards.
Along the way, you'll also hear about:
• Kitchener’s largest library
• The city’s first courthouse and jail
• The second oldest park, Hibner Park
• Late 19th and early 20th-century architecture
• The Centre in the Square and KW Art Gallery, the Region's renowned acoustic space and leading public art gallery
Come along and explore this beautiful heritage district, which remains a very attractive place to live today.