Grattan Road and Salthill Village
Turn left back onto Grattan Road and keep going, towards Salthill Village.
The road is named after the family who owned the land before being purchased by the Urban Council. The road was dubbed the 10 shilling road on account of the daily wages received by the labourers who worked on it. The road allowed for the reclamation of tidal slob land. With the arrival of the Midland and Great Western Railway to Galway in 1851, Salthill became a tourist destination. The tourists came to take the curative salt air and indulging in the seaweed baths. Originally the baths were located on Grattan Road before the baths were relocated to Salthill Village. The infrastructure around Salthill was further improved by the opening of the Eglinton Hotel and the arrival of the Tramway in the 1860s. It is unfortunate the tramway was terminated in the 1930s.