Lampasas Walks: Historic Downtown Lampasas
Santa Fe Depot, built 1904
The red building across the road is the Santa Fe railroad depot. Stop for a minute here on the corner.
The railroad arrived in Lampasas in 1882, bringing with it a boom. The depot was a center for news and social life. The Santa Fe Syndicate, which built this depot, operated the mule-drawn street car from the 1880's to turn of century. They promoted Lampasas as the Saratoga of the South, because of the abundance of mineral springs. Tourists came from all over the United States to bathe in the waters, which were to believed to cure a variety of ailments and stayed at a constant temperature of 72 degrees year round. The boom period of grand hotels and tourists came to a close after the Park Hotel burned in 1895 and mineral springs were no longer fashionable. By the turn of the century, the boom was mostly over. The railroad construction had continued further West and time marched on.
Now turn left to walk down 2nd Street.