Vondelpark & Old West Neighbourhood
Towards the Lake
Continue walking straight
In 1864 a group of prominent Amsterdam citizens formed a committee to found a public park. They raised money to buy 8 hectares of land. A landscape architect was commissioned to design the park in the English landscape style, which was the fashion of the time. Vistas, ponds and pathways were used to create an illusion of a natural area.
At that time, its site was on the edge of Amsterdam. Since then it has become central in the city, close to Leidseplein and Museumplein.
The park was open to the public in 1865 as a horseback riding and strolling park.